18 Jun 2010

Mad dogs and English (wo)men....

go out in the midday sun.

I can't believe the temperature here today, I went into Nicosia earlier to check my mail and as we drove past one of the banks the sign outside said it was 12:02 and 42 degrees! its only the middle of June what is it going to be like next month?

I don't normally comment about living out here even though my blog is called Notes from a divided Island but I thought I would tell you about getting the post. We have a post box in town not far from were we live and we also get post delivered to the house, but and its a big but we have to wait at least 10 days for anything to arrive, then if its not here go and see the manager and have a rant, I have found that to be very productive on more than one occasion. So with having to do this for a few years I had had enough, I have stopped sending for kits and anything else that looks interesting as they just never arrive. Then a few weeks ago I was just wondering in Nicosia (well going to the art shop actual as it sells a great range of other things that you cant get this side) and I was passing the Post Office so in I go. I asked the lady behind the counter if I could have a PO box? no problem said she, well I live on the Turkish side said me, that's ok said she.... We have over the years been told from "reliable" sources that you cant have a PO box unless you either live or work in the Greek side. So now I have a box in Nicosia I get my mail within days and so far nothing has gone missing.
Now to get to the box is a whole different story! I have to go to the border in the center of the city have my passport stamped and then walk from there,  its not far to go but it is straight though the center of town, past Starbucks, Mac Donald's etc that we don't have on this side of the island and with the temperature the way it was today they get very tempting.....

I have had a busy week this week with the normal classes and a coffee morning to help with that I totally missed this weeks WOYWW I cant believe I didn't notice it was Wednesday, I have gone from Tues to Friday in one leap, but hopefully I will make it again next week.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble.


Thanks for reading,
Cath

2 comments:

Kirsti said...

Well Cath it was only 12deg here today and I have just put my heating on and am of to make a nice hot cup of tea - I am FREEEEEZING!!!!...xox

thekathrynwheel said...

Well I sent you a copy of the article you wanted last week so I hope it arrives in your P.O. box!